Owning a private data center will require you to pay not only for the costly hardware for data storage but also for recruiting and maintaining a qualified and experienced staff to manage this data center facility. When you fail to carry out necessary upgrades or resolve existing glitches, you can put the business at great risk. However, when you have the option of getting professionals to manage and secure the hardware and software on your behalf, you should consider it. Colocation gives you this opportunity to enjoy cost-savings because you can place your own servers in the rack space provided by such a colocation provider.
How can colocation hosting benefit your business?
You can share its bandwidth and enjoy enhanced security, technical supports, power supplies, cooling systems, fire suppression mechanisms and network connectivity, all at reasonable costs. Colocation also offers a high degree of scalability and flexibility and allows you to scale up your resources when you need them in order to grow. It gives you the chance to focus on more important areas of your business instead of worrying about how to manage your data center. So, colocation is no more only a means to enjoy space and power supplies, cooling systems and unlimited connectivity; rather, it offers data center solutions which can benefit small and medium sized businesses.
Tips to choose a colocation hosting provider:
To get the best colocation server hosting services, it may be a good idea to look into certain important factors as follows:
- Data center clients may need more power because of new technologies which demand greater processing power. Not all colocation services will able to support high-density power that can support the advanced technologies. So, you should ideally look for a provider which can support a high-density environment. You may however have to pay extra for your contract with the host.
- When choosing a reliable colocation hosting provider it is important to select one which has a flexible Service Level Agreement. This means that you should ideally engage in consultations with the host to find out how they will handle functions which are crucial for your business. It is wrong to sign up with a provider first and then look into the SLA queries.
- When choosing a colocation provider, location is of utmost significance. The colocation facility should not be at such a distance from you that it requires you to pay huge costs simply to transfer your staff to the site for manual repairs and upgrades. Moreover, the facility should ideally not be in an area which is known to be prone to calamities like earthquakes and floods. The farther you are away from the data center, the higher are your networking expenses.
- Besides, the data center should have multiple layers of security to protect data stored in it. So, you need to find out from the colocation hosting provider about the measures they have undertaken for data protection.
- It is also equally important to select providers which are carrier neutral. The host must have many network carriers for connectivity inside their facility; this will make way for competitive pricing and help to lower costs.
- Simply because a colocation provider facility has a lot of space does not necessarily mean that it is better equipped. When you can guarantee equal efficiency in a limited space, you can successfully cut down on operational costs.
- Ideally, the cooling systems, power supplies and network connectivity options provided by the host should be much better than what you can get in your own data center. This means that even if there is an outage, the site will continue to function uninterrupted. The data center should also have enough area for their team to test disaster recovery solutions.
- It is also necessary to find out whether the colocation provider has uptime-certified data center facilities and are SSAE compliant. Client enterprises should ideally choose a hosting provider which supports third party audits for no extra charges.
- Your colocation provider should also be able to provide an all-inclusive managed service hosting package. This ensures that you will not need to send your teams for manual repairs every time. The host should offer a good amount of scalability in their services so that your business can grow seamlessly in the course of the contract. If you choose managed hosting, you can concentrate on developing your business better.
- Finally, when choosing a data center colocation hosting provider, you need to check for the company’s financial stability and reputation. The company should allow you to expand freely in the coming years as technology progresses. It is imperative to find a provider that is willing to offer you additional resources and services when you need them to cope with business changes.